Lawyer Negligence Claims
Securing a Favourable Road to Recovery
Like in any other profession, lawyers in Ontario are not immune to being sued for negligence. Also known as Legal Malpractice or Solicitor’s Negligence, lawyer negligence can occur when a lawyer’s handling of a case is not up to the standard of skill and care expected of a competent lawyer.
Roger R. Foisy has successfully represented clients who have suffered financially measurable harm caused by breach of duty by a former Ontario lawyer.
Examples of lawyer negligence in Ontario as it relates to personal injury lawsuits can include, but are not limited to:
- Failing to issue a lawsuit within the statute of limitations time prescribed by law.
- Failing to put the Defendant(s) on notice of your claim within prescribed time limits, affecting prejudgment interest or cost consequences.
- Failing to properly assess the value of general or special damages.
- Failing to properly make a claim for certain heads of damages.
In addition to solicitor negligence claims, lawyers breaching their fiduciary duty in Canada can also be sued for breach of fiduciary duty. This can occur in situations where the lawyer has a conflict of interest that can harm you or your case.
Examples of breach of fiduciary duty in personal injury lawsuits can include but are not limited to:
- Failing to communicate settlement offers.
- Resolving your lawsuit for less than its appropriate value without your approval.
- Inappropriately using money which belongs to you.
Lawyer negligence claims are definitely more difficult lawsuits as they require a lawyer to prove that you would have been successful in the original lawsuit if your lawyer had not been negligent or breached his/her fiduciary duty. You can count on Roger and his team to provide superior representation that maximizes the potential compensation on your solicitor negligence claim
Roger R. Foisy is a “lawyer for the people” who fights to receive maximum dollars for his clients.
Contact our office to commence your claim.