May is National Fitness and Sports Month, intended to encourage everyone to get active and take care of their bodies! As you are most likely already well aware, staying fit and healthy has a multitude of benefits, including increasing your protection from:
- Heart disease and high blood pressure
- Back pain
- Certain types of cancer
Exercise also improves your mood, controls your weight, and promotes better sleep.
Yet another benefit of maintaining fitness that you may not have considered is its ability to help you heal from personal injuries. Healthy people tend to heal more quickly from injury, are more able to engage in the rehabilitative activities and exercises, and tend to reach better recovery outcomes in general.
As a personal injury lawyer, I feel that good general health is exceedingly important for everyone.
My Story of Injury and Personal Health
About 10 years ago, I suffered from a back injury. I found that prioritizing my personal health, along with following the health and rehabilitation recommendations of my various medical practitioners had a major impact on my recovery.
To this day, I still maintain a comprehensive regime of health and fitness and I no longer experience any pain in my back.
Here are some of the things I do to maintain my fitness:
- Two to three times per week, I work out with personal trainer Derek Chow, head trainer at Studio One Fitness in Mississauga, Ontario
- Once every week or every other week, I receive a massage from RMT Jason Hensen
- I also receive regular acupuncture from Jason Henson
- Regularly, I am realigned by my osteopath Peter Volkes, owner of Optimal Health and Performance in Brampton, Ontario
- I own a Vitamix and prepare a healthy protein shake for myself and my family every morning
- I relax my mind and body with reading non-work related books
- My wife and I try to find some time to walk or run together (my wife also has her own in-home personal trainer – Jade Carrington, owner of Iron Chic Fitness)
Thank you to all of the practitioners and trainers who have helped me and who continue to help me maintain my wellbeing and fitness!
I am not a medical expert, but as a personal injury lawyer, I heartily recommend that everyone prioritize their health and fitness, no matter your age or level of activity. Start small, start now, and treat your body right.
If you or a loved one has sustained a personal injury at another party’s fault, please do not hesitate to contact me and my team of experienced personal injury lawyers for a free consultation.
Watch my video series about personal injury law.
More on Personal Injury from Roger R. Foisy:
- Why You May Want to Consider Getting an Individual Disability Insurance Policy (Even If You’re on a Group Policy through Your Employer)
- Alert for Ontario Drivers: New Road Safety Laws Passed to Protect Pedestrians
- Uniquely Qualified: Personal Injury Lawyer Roger R. Foisy’s Medical Diplomas and Certificates